Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Letter Day

How to tell my coworkers of my diagnosis?  What will be the timing be?  A few are already wondering whats going on, I never miss time on a Monday.  Even when on vacation I have worked Mondays to insure people get paid.  If I miss any time on a Monday, it has to be something big.  I decide to send an email to the team I am assigned and the payroll team which I provide support to.  The following is the content of the email I sent:

As some of you may have heard, I am currently facing the challenge of my life: I have been diagnosed with colorectal cancer.  I am currently undergoing treatment which at times may take me away from my normal duties.  I hope to keep this to a minimum, however scheduling of treatments will not be at my discretion.   As I battle through I ask three things: Forgiveness, Understanding and Dignity. 
Over the last few months as my condition has worsened, the discomfort and stress I was feeling at times got the best of me and I may not have provided the support you deserved.  I sincerely apologize for this and ask your forgiveness. 
As I go through this treatment there will be times I will need to delegate some tasks to others.   This transition of tasks may not always go as smoothly as desired, for this reason I ask for your understanding. 
It is human nature that will lead some of you to avoid contacting me, this may be for fear of over taxing or stressing me or other reasons, please don’t avoid me.   The feeling of isolation will deny me the dignity needed to fight on through my challenge.   It has always been and will continue to be my passion to provide the support you need and deserve.  Please allow me the dignity to continue to provide this support.
I thank you all for your continued support and prayers

The response of support and caring is overwhelming.  Below is one of the most touching responses I received.:
I just want you to know your email was so touching and eloquently written. Thank you for writing it and sharing it with us….It truly puts life in perspective, and shows us what an amazing person you are. Of the times I’ve had the pleasure of talking with you, I have come to realize that you are one of the kindest, most good natured, and genuine people I’ve met. You are such an honorable person, and I aspire be as hard working, humble, and authentic as you. I will definitely be praying for you! 

I am feeling humbled.

1 comment:

  1. Bruce, when I read this first post, chills went through my body and tears sprang to my eyes.....I am now feeling humbled. I am so glad I could provide you with some solace. Every word I said was true, and I hope I can continue to be a support for you throughout this journey. I look forward to continue reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete